Circa 1825 Greek Revival
536 Old Post Road, Fairfield CT
Situated in the charming Historic District of the Town of Fairfield, “Stone Wall” is a federally protected landmark that has, historically, been an excellent place to ride out a storm. Privately enclosed on a one-acre parcel behind the classic New England fieldstone wall that lends the property its name, Stone Wall was built in 1825 and has been noted as “the finest example of Greek Revival architecture in Connecticut.” In 2004, award-winning architect Jack Franzen completed an extensive million-dollar renovation which restored all the historic charm while adding the luxury comforts and modern features one would expect in a new home. From the grand foyer to the parlor, sitting room to formal dining room, family and guests are beckoned to join in good company, conversation, epic game nights, and the warm hospitality this home was designed for. Mechanical features include public water and sewer, natural gas hydro air heating, central a/c on all levels, security system, all new electrical and CAT 5 wiring throughout. Living in a coastal community, it’s good to know Old Post Road is located outside the flood zone, and its proximity to town hall has been favorable during utility outages, yet it’s only a picturesque fifteen-minute walk to Fairfield Beach. The professionally landscaped acre includes mature privacy trees, wooden perimeter fencing, and a security gate at the drive. The yard has room for a pool and tennis court, which is rare so close to downtown. Being within walking distance to the train station, incredible restaurants, shopping, beaches, and summer events on the Green is all part of the beauty of this gracious and grand home. We’d love to show you around, give us a call. Represented by Carrie Perkins, (203) 258-4171
5 Full,1 Half Bath
Greek Revival architecture is referred to as the “National style” of the early 1800’s. It coincided with the growing acceptance of Democracy and marked a young, flourishing America.
The detailed architectural trim, heavily molded cornices, classical Corinthian columns and tall slender windows had a broad appeal that represented both economic security and a distant idealized culture – having a temple-like feel.
Great care was taken during the extensive renovations to maintain the integrity of the original historic Grecian style.
Unparalleled Chef’s kitchen
Using every inch for optimal organization, a great kitchen is central to everyday living. This expansive custom kitchen does not dissapoint.
Details include a 12ft tin ceiling, reclaimed chestnut floors a generous mud room. 48″ Viking Professinal 6-burner range, Sub-Zero refrigeration, 2 Bosch dishwashers, oversized farm sink with high gooseneck faucet, brushed granite countertops and fully custom cabinetry. Lyptus wood tiered island with hammered copper sink and warming drawer.
536 Old Post Road, Fairfield CT
This stately home, publicly described in 1971 by Lloyd Marsh of the Society for the Preservation of New England Antiquities as “the finest example of Greek Revival Architecture in Connecticut” is a federally protected landmark in the original Historic District of the Town of Fairfield.
Four two-story Doric Columns guard the magnificent front door, framed by leaded arabesque glass panels and a carved lintel supporting a rare wrought iron lantern. The lower front windows reach from floor to ceiling and have protruding lintels as do the balance of the windows which have six-over-six window panes. There are 12 foot ceilings in the Family Room (Parlor) and the new Kitchen addition.
Handwritten documents at the Fairfield Historical Society show “a blacksmith shop and a dwelling house” which is believed to be the current home on the property, prior to the American Revolution. They were burned to the ground by the British when they sacked the town in 1779. Like most of the homes destroyed by the army of King George, it was defiantly rebuilt or replaced within the year. The original beamed rooms on the first and second floors are of board and batten construction beneath the clapboard. It is believed that the oldest (main) part of the house was built by Daniel Dimon, a carpenter and Captain in the Revolutionary Forces, who also built the Burr Homestead. He died in 1808 and his headstone is just inside the gates of the Old Burying Ground on Beach Road.
In 1825, there was a significant jump in tax assessment at 536 Old Post Road and in that year the Greek Revival style of building was sweeping New England. As one historian put it, “That was the year people turned their houses sideways.” One can surmise that this accounts for the fact that the original beaming is now parallel to the road, the structure has a Greek Revival façade, and that a wing which contains a Drawing Room has 12 foot ceilings and 6 sets of crown moldings was added at a later date.
A story surrounds the stone wall across the front of the property: It explains that the wall was built to protect the homeowners from the dust of the horse drawn carriages on this New York to Boston route and that an early owner persuaded the town fathers to let him cart off the stones from an original 17th century blockhouse in “Wolf Swamp” used as protection against the Indians. These stones came from the site of the present Roger Sherman School. Directly next door to 536 Old Post Road in front of the Sherman Parsonage, there is a Franklin Stone which reads, “20 miles to New Haven.”
The house was believed to have been kept in the Dimon family for many years. Previous owners include Priscilla Dimon, Aunt Prissy, famous in town for her tasty, rich black plum cake, and in Victorian times, Ellen Tooker Pierson, who resided here alone and was known as eccentric by keeping a man’s hat and cloak on a cloak rack in the foyer so as not to appear to live alone. The story goes on to say that she always dressed completely for dinner including donning long white gloves. In the early 1900’s, a high-spirited owner with a passion for polo ponies was said to have stripped the first floor of its wide-pegged floors, marble mantels, and the chandelier and ornamental plasterwork in the Drawing Room to pay for his gambling debts. Subsequent families have lovingly restored and refurbished the house including the addition of the Viennese crystal sconces in the Formal Dining Room.The grounds contain one of the oldest Linden Trees in New England at over 170 years old, located in the front of the home, while in the rear of the home is a grouping of 3 Holly Trees, 2 American and 1 English which rise 35-40 feet and are approximately 55 years old.
The current owners, Stephen and Toni Habetz, have made extensive improvements to the property including a 3-story addition which encompasses a Media Room with Projector/Screen television, a new Kitchen with custom cabinetry, gourmet appliances, reclaimed random-width chestnut floors, Mudroom, and a 12 foot tin ceiling, a marble Master Bath, closet and dressing room, and a 4-season heated porch with removable glass panels. They have also added a new staircase to the third floor and completely replaced 4 bathrooms. A two car garage with unfinished loft was added in 2012.
Like all of the homes surrounding the Town Hall Green, 536 Old Post Road is blessed on the hour and quarter hour with the church bells heard from First Church Congregational. The town Christmas tree glows in its windows during the holiday season and the Memorial Day Parade seems to bring most of Fairfield warmly to its gates on a May morning each year. As for the Old Post Road, residents need not travel far to enjoy Fairfield’s history and community at its best!
LIST OF IMPROVEMENTS
15 FOOT PRIVACY TREES WHICH WILL GROW TO 75 FEET
2-CAR GARAGE WITH UNFINISHED LOFT COMPLETE WITH ROUGHED-IN ELECTRICAL AND PLUMBING
3-STORY ADDITION WHICH INCLUDES A NEW GOURMET KITCHEN WITH CUSTOM CABINETS, BRUSHED GRANITE COUNTERTOPS, 2 BOSCH DISHWASHERS, VIKING 6-BURNER RANGE, SUBZERO REFRIGERATOR/FREEZER, 12-FOOT TIN CEILING, RECLAIMED ANTIQUE CHESTNUT FLOOR, MUDROOM, MASTER BATHROOM, DRESSING ROOM, WALK-IN CLOSET, AND MEDIA ROOM
ALL NEW BATHROOMS (5 ½)
NEW 4 SEASON PORCH WITH SCREENS FOR SUMMER, GLASS PANELS & HEAT FOR WINTER
NEW BLUESTONE PATIO
NEW MECHANICALS INCLUDING, HYDRO-AIR HEATING/COOLING SYSTEM, 400 AMP ELECTRICAL SERVICE, ALL NEW PLUMBING, 3 GAS FIREPLACES, & HEATED MARBLE/TILE FLOORS IN 4 BATHROOMS
ALL NEW LIGHTING FIXTURES OR REWIRED ANTIQUES
NEW HARDWARE ON DOORS AND WINDOWS
COMPLETELY PAINTED INSIDE AND OUT
MARBLE/GRANITE SURROUNDING FIREPLACES
LAUNDRY ON SECOND FLOOR AND IN BASEMENT
SPRINKLER SYSTEM, INVISIBLE FENCING FOR DOGS, AND EXTENSIVE LANDSCAPING
Part beach town, part quiet suburb, there’s a sense of both privacy and community. This is not a tourist destination. People have roots here. Neighbors share greetings while walking their dogs or taking sunset bike rides along the shoreline pathways. They also volunteer at the local schools, meet at church and temple, and spend social evenings in downtown Fairfield, just a few minutes away.
Things To Do Around Town
From the addictive dumplings and savory pho of Mecha Noodle Bar, to the wide variety of specialty foods offered at markets like Organika and A&S Italian Fine Foods, Fairfield boasts an impressive array of dining options. Don’t-miss locations include Pepe’s world-famous pizzeria and the renowned local wine bar, Barcelona.
Experience Fairfield has a comprehensive list of the dozens of delectable options around town.
Fairfield’s Annual 4th of July Celebrations
A patriotic tradition started over 125 years ago by the Fairfield United Veterans Organization. “While the town’s fireworks display will light up the night sky on July 3, the ceremony on July 4 provides a meaningful and moving opportunity to celebrate the historical significance of this great American holiday.” – Fairfield Patch
Fairfield Theatre Company
“The Fairfield Theatre Company is a nonprofit center for the arts and culture located in the heart of downtown Fairfield. Bringing together a community of musicians, actors, artists, writers, fans, and supporters who are dedicated to the simple premise that the broadest spectrum of live entertainment and cultural exchange is essential to the vitality of our society.” – FTC
Check out the calendar of upcoming FTC events: https://fairfieldtheatre.org/calendar
Wide Open Spaces
“The Town of Fairfield owns over 1,100 acres of open space that includes upland forest, lakes, rivers, salt marsh, wetlands and meadows throughout inland and coastal Fairfield. These recreational parcels provide opportunities for uses such as hiking, leisurely walking, horseback riding, and cross-country skiing. In addition, they enhance and conserve natural resources, protect fish and wildlife habitats, serve as outdoor classrooms for nature study, and contribute significantly to the beautiful rural characteristics that are so much a part of the Town of Fairfield.”
All Hands On Deck
“Because it’s a shoreline town, Fairfield has many boaters–and the town has two marinas, the South Benson Marina which accommodates 630 boats from 14.1’ to 36′ and Historic Ye Yacht Yard at Southport Harbor with space for 60 small boats to a maximum 14”. Ye Yacht Yard also provides boat launch services to residents and access to moorings in Southport Harbor as well as 25 Kayak racks are available. There are also boat rack rentals available at Penfield Beach and Jennings Beach. Jennings Beach also features a well-used fishing pier with a bait shack nearby.”
The long pier at the end of Jennings Beach is just one of the many local fishing holes.